At the end of August 2018, DuPage County, Willowbrook and surrounding communities were made aware of air sampling completed by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) around Sterigenics facility located in Willowbrook due to its
emission of ethylene oxide (EtO) into the atmosphere. ATSDR completed modeling based on the concentrations of EtO which concluded an increase in cancer risk may exist in the area due to exposure to the chemical.
Below are documents and links with information about County activities as well documents and links to resources about EtO. The Village of Willowbrook has also
provided information on their website as well. Questions can be emailed to the U.S. EPA using the following - EtO@epa.gov.
Illinois EPA Seal Order 2-5-19
EPA Risk Assessment Report for the Sterigenics Facility in Willowbrook, IL
County Board Letter to County Legislative Committee Regarding EtO 8-1-19
U.S. Congress Members Letter to U.S. EPA on Sterigenics 7-23-19
Below please see the IEPA Notice of Public Meeting regarding issuance of a construction permit for Sterigenics.
August 1, 2019; Ashton Place,341 75th Street, Willowbrook; 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Sterigenics IEPA NESHAP Source Construction Permit Draft July 2019
Sterigenics Fact Sheet July 2019 Application for Construction Permit
Below please find information on the proposed consent order and applicable statute.
Please note, the court hearing on proposed Consent Order scheduled for Sep. 6, 2019 in DuPage Circuit Court.
Sterigenics Consent Order Overview FAQ 7-16-19
State of Illinois v. Sterigenics U.S., LLC Proposed Consent Order 7-16-19
Sterigenics Motion to Enter Proposed Consent Order 7-16-19
Sterigenics Consent Order Press Release 7-17-19
State of Illinois Public Act 101-0023 addressing ethylene oxide emissions sources
Amicus Brief Filing Sen. Curran; Rep. Durkin and Rep Mazzochi
Air Testing Results
Well Testing Announcement
DuPage County Letters & Documents
- March 29, 2019 Chairman Cronin Responds to Willowbrook Cancer Assessment Study
- January 24, 2019 DuPage County Letter to Governor's Office
- October 30, 2018 Lawsuit People of the State of Illinois and DuPage County States Atty vs. Sterigenics U.S., LLC
- October 30, 2018 Statement Regarding DuPage County Lawsuit Against Sterigenics
- October 26, 2018 Chairman Cronin House Testimony
- October 26, 2018 Chairman Cronin Statement
- September 27, 2018 Chairman Cronin Press Release Regarding U.S. EPA Follow Up Ambient Air Testing
- September 25, 2018 Chairman Cronin Letter to U.S. EPA
- September 18, 2018 Sen. Curran & Chairman Cronin Letter to Attorney General
- September 11, 2018 County Board Resolution
- September 3, 2018 Sterigenics Response Letter
- August 31, 2018 Letter to Sterigenics
U.S. EPA Public Meeting
On August 29, 2018, a public meeting was held to discuss the report. Representatives from the U.S. EPA Region 5, Illinois EPA, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry and Sterigenics. View the archive video of the meeting.
The U.S. EPA has also developed a dedicated webpage with additional information regarding the work being done in and around the Sterigenics facility.
Other Government Agency Correspondence & Resources
- April 2, 2019 Illinois Senators Letter to U.S. DHS Re: EtO
- March 29, 2019 Illinois Dept. of Public Health Cancer Incidence Assessment
- March 29, 2019 Illinois Dept. of Public Health Cancer Incidence Press Release
- February 13, 2019 U.S. Congressional Letter to U.S. EPA
- February 12, 2019 Congressional Members Release Statements on ethylene oxide and U.S. EPA
- February 12, 2019 Senator Durbin: Sterigenics Statement and Remarks on Senate Floor
- January 29, 2019 U.S. Congressional Letter to U.S. EPA
- January 29, 2019 Stop Sterigenics Press Release
- September 19, 2018 Attorney General Letter to Sen. Curran, Rep. Durkin and Chairman Cronin
- July 26, 2018 Dept. of Health & Human Services Letter to US EPA
- Illinois EPA website FAQs and information
- Village of Willowbrook website for Sterigenics information
- U. S. EPA website with ongoing information on Sterigenics
Publications with Information about Ethylene Oxide
2013 Ethylene Glycol Leak
Sterigenics completed a site investigation and site remediation in 2013 following a detected leak at the site. Details regarding the investigation and associated cleanup can be found on the Illinois EPA's website.