Casting a Vote for a Write-In Candidate
Illinois Law requires that a write-in vote must only be counted for candidates who have properly filed a Declaration of Intent to be a Write-in Candidate.
To Cast a Write-In Vote on a Paper Ballot (AccuVote-OS)
- Find the appropriate Unit of Government and Office Title
- Write the Candidate's name on the line provided
- Darken the oval to the left of the candidate's name. You must blacken the oval completely, and do not may any marks outside of the oval.
- Failure to do these steps will result in your Write-In vote not being counted
To Vote a Touchscreen Ballot (AccuVote-TSX)
- Touch the box on the screen next to the Write-In line. An “X” will appear designating your selection. An onscreen keyboard will appear.
- Enter the Write-In Candidate’s Name.
- Press “Record Write-In” to complete the vote.
- To change or cancel your selection, touch the box again and make another selection.