FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under general direction; performs work of considerable difficulty in the diagnosis of major system problems, coordination of repairs and responsible for crews, operations and job assignments; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs skilled work in the installation, maintenance and repair of large pumps, motors, and major water and sewage distribution systems. Work involves a substantial amount of time supervising the work of subordinate personnel assigned to crews. Customarily and regularly directs the work of two or more other employees. General direction is received from the Operations Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Recommends hires and promotions, directs and evaluates employment decisions for all assigned positions
• Interviews, hires and trains employees to work in the department
• Installs and repairs large pumps (330 HP) motors valves and piping
• Diagnosis, redesigns and repairs, clarifiers, aeration equipment, (e.g. clarifiers, aeration, filtration, etc.) and other major water and wastewater equipment
• Supervises the work of subordinate personnel engaged in the equipment operations and crew duties
• Identifies and resolves employee relations and performance issues, establishes and maintains a professional work environment while providing appropriate leadership and direction
• Promotes positive morale, creativity and teamwork among staff, evaluates employee performance, and sets clear goals and expectations
• Performs preventive maintenance and repair of a wide variety of heating and refrigeration equipment
• Coordinates the construction and excavation involved in repair of sewers, hydrants, and stormwater drainage projects
• Analyzes soil condition to determine proper excavation procedures (e.g. shoring, utilities, etc.)
• Estimates required labor and material
• Assists in the design and construction of extension and improvement projects
• Operates and maintains heavy equipment, , Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignment or schedule in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment, may require emergency management training, licensure or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• The design and operation of major water/wastewater systems
• The methods, materials, tools and practices used in their maintenance and repair
• Applicable occupational hazards and safety precautions repair and construction costs and of scheduling work assignments
• Current office practices, procedures, and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Management and leadership principles
• Performing maintenance and repair tasks involving instrumentation, pipefitting, or other construction trades
• The operation of heavy equipment
• Reading and interpreting blueprints
• Redesigning systems
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Using computer hardware and software including work processing, spreadsheets, databases,
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
• Monitor and evaluate employees
• Prioritize and assign work
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals
• Plan, organize, manage and evaluate the work of the division to ensure efficient, timely and cost-effective services
• Plan, analyze, and evaluate programs and services, operational needs, and fiscal constraints
• Provide leadership to effectively resolve issues
Exercises supervision of personnel in related area of responsibility.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent and ten years of experience in water/wastewater plant operations, construction, underground maintenance and engineering combined; three years of experience in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medium work: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and/or arms to operate tools and equipment, climb, crouch or stoop, and lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work will occur in a field environment. This position will occasionally include working near moving mechanical parts, in precarious places, in outside weather conditions, and with fumes or airborne particles.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS