Job Details for 4321 - Pharmacy Technician
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of routine difficulty in assisting in the preparation and filling of prescriptions; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
A Pharmacy Technician performs a variety of detail oriented tasks at the Pharmacy to relieve the Staff Pharmacists of routine tasks. Supervision is received from both the Staff Pharmacist and Pharmacy Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Fills unit dose medication carts
• Prepackages unit dose medications
• Refills bulk medications
• Performs nursing unit inspections
• Ensures appropriate charging and crediting of medications
• Assist the Pharmacist in entering and filling new orders
• Labels drugs, chemicals, and other pharmaceutical preparation
• Maintains inventory and orders supplies
• Enters on CRT input for drugs, pricing, labeling and preparing and maintaining files, records and purchase orders, physician order sheets
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Computers, software and associated technology
• Inventory control procedures
• Medical terminology
• On-line ordering from vendors
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Dealing effectively with others
• Understanding and following verbal and/or written communications
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Work with minimal supervision
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent verbal and written communication
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High school Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma and one year experience in the health care field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 25 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Use of arm and /or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than for sedentary work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes tasks that occur indoors in a temperature controlled environment, on surfaces such as ceramic tile, vinyl tile, concrete wood or commercial carpeting. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to quiet.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Requires registration as a Pharmacy Technician in the State of Illinois. and designation of Certified Pharmacy Technician with the State of Illinois.