FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
UNION: Local 150
Under direction; performs work of considerable difficulty installing, repairing, and reading water meters; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The employees in this class are primarily responsible for ensuring proper maintenance and installation of water meters, and accurate reading and recording of water consumption of utility customers. Direction is received from the Principal Meter Reader.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Installs meters
• Reads and records water meter usage on assigned routes
• Maintains accurate records according to established procedures for proper billing
• Monitors chlorine and fluoride levels in water
• Performs inspections of plumbing and meter installation
• Checks to see that meters are functioning properly and repairs defects as necessary
• Responds to inquiries and requests from customers about malfunctioning equipment
• Enters private residences to respond to customer requests and perform investigation and repair of malfunctioning equipment
• Advises plumbers regarding installation requirements of water meters
• Performs commercial plumbing
• Recommends equipment and tools necessary for department operations
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignment or schedule in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment, may require emergency management training, licensure or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• The geography and street locations of the County
• Routine maintenance procedures associated with meters and equipment
• Residential and commercial plumbing techniques and systems
• Current office practices, procedures, and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Testing, performing repairs and upkeep of water meters
• Inspecting and identifying necessary plumbing repairs
• Monitoring fluoride and chlorine levels and correcting problems
• Reading and understanding blueprints
• Basic mathematical calculations
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals
• Plan, analyze, and evaluate programs and services, operational needs, and fiscal constraints
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent and three (3) years of experience in the installation, repair and reading of water meters; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Will be required to walk, reach with hands and/or arms, and climb, crouch, or stoop. Will occasionally be required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work will occur in a field environment. The work environment for this position regularly includes working in all types of outside weather conditions, as well as, working inside the private residences of customers. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must possess and maintain in good standing, a valid Illinois driver’s license.