Employment Opportunity: Additional Opportunities
Title: Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Posting No.: 2320
Closing Date: Until filled
Department: Transportation and Highways
Hours: Full-Time: Monday-Friday 6:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m., overtime and on-call as needed, to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
Salary: $55,845 annually
There is one (1) position open at this time.
• Diagnose, adjust, repair and overhaul a wide variety of automotive and heavy equipment
• Repair and maintain light duty trucks, heavy duty trucks, snow and ice removal equipment, tractors, street sweepers, trailers and other heavy construction equipment
• Diagnose, repair and overhaul diesel and gasoline engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulic systems, steering and suspension, electrical and HVAC systems
• Perform welding and fabricating tasks as needed
• Perform preventative maintenance checks and repairs of County vehicles, road testing vehicles for proper operating levels, and diagnosing drivability and emission systems
• Respond to roadway service calls for broken down equipment and vehicles
• Clean and maintain the workshop, pick up parts, and record vehicle maintenance history
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to operate tools and equipment, reach with hands and arms, crouch or stoop, and lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• The work environment for this position frequently includes working near moving mechanical parts, with hazardous materials, with fumes or airborne particles, in cramped or confined spaces, and occasionally in extreme outside weather conditions
• Employees in this class are required to be on call for emergency situations and seasonal snow removal, which means being capable of working in excess of forty (40) hours per week
Requirements include the following experience or equivalent combination of training and experience:
• Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent
• Four (4) years of experience in repairing automotive and heavy equipment at the level of a skilled mechanic
• The selected candidate will be required to obtain a Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with an air brakes endorsement within ninety (90) days of employment
This position is subject to drug and alcohol testing requirements of the United States Department of Transportation - Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1991.
This position is included in the Bargaining Unit of the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 150.
A post offer physical is required.
A pre-employment background check is required.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer