DuPage County Social Media Policy
Purpose & Summary: The use of social media permits the County of DuPage to increase the accessibility of the County for its citizens, engage in conversations in real time to provide and share information relating to topics posted by the
County on its Social Media sites.
DuPage County reserves the right to delete comments, photographs or videos that do not relate to the business of DuPage County government or “prohibited content” which includes:
- Personal: Personal information of any person such as social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, bank accounts, address or telephone numbers; private information as defined by State or Federal statute, regulations or written
City policies adopted in conformity with the law; comments from children under 13 (to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection ACT) ‐ by posting on the County’s site, users acknowledge that they are at least 13 years old.
- Profane: Comments containing vulgar, offensive, profane, or physically threatening language, personal attacks, or unsupported accusations; sexual content or links to sexual content.
- Discriminatory: Comments that promote, foster, or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability
or sexual orientation.
- Threats/Safety: Language that promotes or provokes violence; content that violates any cyber‐crime laws; information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
- Political: Comments in support or opposition to political campaigns, ballot measures or referendums.
- Advertising: Solicitations of commercial sales or commercial links; spamming or repetitive content such as posting the same content more than two times in the same location.
- Illegality: Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity; content promoting the use of Illegal or banned substances and narcotics.
- Intellectual Property: Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party including trade secrets (information regarding the development of systems, processes, products and technology), internal reports, policies,
procedures and confidential communications.
Disclaimer: The County of DuPage does not evaluate the facts or information contained in public comments herein and does not endorse any position, product, business or unofficial statement that may be posted on any social media site.
Compliance with Local Records Law: The County’s social media sites are subject to the Local Records Retention Act; therefore content shall be managed in accordance with these laws.
County Intellectual Property: The County seal and any other departmental logos, designs, or symbols are the exclusive property of the County and are legally protected. Such symbols, logos, or designs may not be used without the County’s